Are you longing for a break from 9-to-5 cubicle life, a job where you can spend time outside enjoying nature and helping people? You’re in luck!

The Bureau of Land Management is looking for a park ranger to work in Glennallen, Alaska. If you like whitewater paddling, this may be an especially attractive option.

It takes guts to move to Alaska, let alone become a park ranger. So obviously we think you should look into this job.

Here’s the lowdown on requirements:

For the GS-07 grade level, applicants must havalaskae at least one year of specialized experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of this position. To be creditable, this experience must have been equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of at least the GS-05 grade level in the federal service. Experience may have been in technical, administrative, or scientific work, fish and wildlife management, recreation management, law enforcement, or other park-related work. Examples of qualifying specialized experience includes but are not limited to the following: park guide or tour leader; law enforcement or investigative work; archeological or historical preservation research work; forestry and/or fire management work in a park, recreation, or conservation area; management, assistant, or program specialist work involving the development and implementation of policy related to protection, conservation, or management of park areas or similar operations.



Applicants must have successfully completed a full year graduate education (27 quarter or 18 semester hours) natural resource management, natural sciences, earth sciences, history, archeology, anthropology, park and recreation management, law enforcement/police science, social sciences, museum sciences, business administration, public administration, behavioral sciences, sociology, or other closely related subjects pertinent to the management and protection of natural and cultural resources. Course work in fields other than those specified may be accepted if it clearly provides applicant with the background of knowledge and skills necessary for successful job performance in the position to be filled.You must submit a copy of your transcripts if you are using education to qualify.




Applicant must have graduated with a bachelor’s degree which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work AND I have documented Superior Academic Achievement (SAA) during my undergraduate studies. I meet the SAA by one of the following three methods: (1) class standing – upper third of the graduating class based on completed courses in the college, university or major subdivision; (2) grade point average – 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 (“B” or better) as recorded on my official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; OR 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 (“B ” or better) based on the average of the required courses




Applicants must have an equivalent combination of specialized experience and education, as described above. To compute this, first determine your education as a percentage of the education requirement and then determine your specialized experience as a percentage; add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal 100% to qualify.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.